When I went off to college, the horses were sold (I know where they both are and they have wonderful loving homes). While I was sad to see them go, I thought this was a part of my life that was likely over. Little did I know...once it is in your blood...horse fever never goes away! Lucky for me, I have a husband who, while he doesn't particularly like horses, he loves to compete and has been just like my mom and dad when it comes to supporting my horse habit!
I am certain I will write about horses a lot in this blog. I have not shown in a year. This past weekend, we went to a show to do some business and the bug got me again. I can't wait to show! So, I thought this would be a good time to give you a list of things that I love about showing horses....
- the smell of face highlighter (sort of like a mix between flowers, frosting and candy)
- the shuffling sound your horses feet make in the sand when he is jogging his heart out
- the clothes (who doesn't like a jacket dipped in rhinestones and a crisp white felt hat)
- that feeling you get standing at the start cone of a showmanship pattern
- that feeling you get when you rock a showmanship pattern with "the showmanship machine"
- a perfect 360, trot around a cone and a speedy back
- a flawless horsemanship pattern
- a horsemanship long trot...a perfect long trot...the kind that leaves you exhausted from not only holding your frame but your horses frame together in perfect timing
- the look on your trainer's face when you kill (in a good way) the horsemanship no matter how tired you and the horse both are